Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Banana Bread Replacement

Who doesn't LOVE banana bread?! It is so, so, so good, but, traditionally made, it is also so, so, so bad for you. Standard recipes include bananas (healthy) added to 2 cups of white flour, 1 cup of white sugar, and 1/2 cup of oil (not healthy). As I stared at the overripe bananas on my counter this morning, I pondered my options. and decided to take a traditional recipe and amp up the nutrients by substituting healthy ingredients. This was one of my first times changing and adding so many ingredients in a recipe, so I was very pleased with the delicious results.

Banana Maple Oat Bread

1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1/4 cup oat bran
1/4 cup rolled oats
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of sea salt
3-4 ripe, mashed bananas
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup sugar (I'm not convinced that this is necessary, but I didn't want to stray too far- try it without!)

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
  • Grease and flour a bundt pan or two loaf pans.
  • Combine flour, oat bran, rolled oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center.
  • Combine bananas, applesauce, flaxseed meal, egg, syrup, and sugar. Add to dry ingredients.
  • Fold all ingredients together and then pour into prepared pan(s).
  • Bake for 50-60 minutes, turn out onto a cooling rack, slice, and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I put Chia Seeds and Hemp seeds in my Banana bread too! Great idea on the White whole wheat flour! Thanks Em :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I have been missing you, "shades of sage"!

    ReplyDelete